Program | Student Events
Fourth Doctoral Consortium at Interspeech 2018
Date: September 1, 2018; 9 am - 5 pm
Kohli Research Block
International Institute of Information Technology Hyderabad (IIIT-H)
Near DLF, Gachibowli, Hyderabad, Telangana, India - 500032
- Map from HICC conference center to IIIT-H: https://goo.gl/jpsgR5
- Map from RGIA Hyderabad (Airport) to IIIT-H: https://goo.gl/DxFaaM
- There will be volunteers at the Airport and IIIT-H to help you find the venue.
The Student Advisory Committee of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA-SAC) is pleased to call for applications for the 4th Doctoral Consortium. This event extends an opportunity for doctoral candidates to present and discuss their research with a panel of experts. The discussion would include a feedback on the evolution and progress of their research. It also helps them to identify the roadmap and additional studies, which could help refine the shape of their thesis.
The doctoral consortium will be a one-day event (including lunch and coffee breaks) being organised on Saturday, September 1, 2018, at the International Institute of Information Technology (IIIT) Hyderabad, Gachibowli. The applicants are required to submit a two-page extended abstract of their PhD research work. The shortlisted candidates would be invited to the consortium where they are required to present a summary of their research. Each candidate will be given 30 minutes for the presentation, which will be followed by a discussion of 15 minutes, led by a panel of experts.
Prospective doctoral students from speech related disciplines are invited to apply. The selection of participants will be based on the submitted abstracts.
Panel of Experts
- Mathew Magimai Doss (IDIAP Research Institute)
- Isabel Trancoso (INESC ID Lisbon)
- Vikramjit Mitra (Apple Inc)
- Haizhou Li (NUS)
- Richard Stern (CMU, Pittsburgh)
- Prasanta Kumar Ghosh (IISc, Bangalore)
- Chandra Sekhar Seelamantula (IISc, Bangalore)
- Mariapaola D'Imperio (Aix Marseille University, France)
- Guruprasad S (Audience Communications Systems, Bangalore)
- The invitation is open to all participants of Interspeech 2018.
- The applicants are required to submit an extended two-page abstract on their ongoing doctoral research.
- The submission can be extended to a maximum of two pages including all text, figures and tables, plus an additional third page exclusively for references.
- The submissions must follow the Interspeech template provided in the author's kit.
- The abstracts may incorporate published and in-progress work from the authors.
- Submissions are expected to present a fair picture of the research undertaken towards the thesis.
- Participants are advised to refrain from submitting a shorter version of their conference papers.
- Submissions must have the participant as the sole author. Acknowledgements to their supervisors, supporting agencies/bodies, and contributors to the work, can be made in a separate section.
- The submission must highlight the following:
- The motivation for the research.
- Key issues identified/addressed.
- Major contributions
- Discussion of results.
- Future plans and a roadmap for the thesis.
- Major contributions of the research.
- Submissions can be made through EasyChair starting June 20, 2018. The link is https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dc2018
- Submission must be in PDF format.
- Accepted submissions will be published on www.isca-students.org and thus a submission inherently indicates consent towards ISCA-SAC publishing the abstract.
Instructions for the submission of the final abstract and the presentation
- Kindly proof-read and modify your abstract to be uploaded at the ISCA archives.
- Send the final camera-ready submission to us, latest by 20th August 2018. Kindly do not delay the submissions and strictly adhere to the deadline.
- Each presenter will have 20 minutes to present their research, in front of the panel of experts. Kindly prepare your presentations accordingly.
- Kindly send us the final presentation slides latest by 25th August 2018.
- Each presentation would be followed by a critical feedback for 10 minutes.
The details about the venue (Room no, Building) in IIIT Hyderabad will be available soon.
- Submissions must follow Interspeech paper template.
- Submissions must describe the research undertaken towards your thesis.
- Submissions must be made through the EasyChair link only.
- A maximum of two pages are allowed for submission, with an additional third page exclusively for references. Non-compliance to this limit will automatically lead to cancellation of the submission.
Submissions open: June 20, 2018
Submission Deadline: July 5, 2018
Notification of Decision: July 20, 2018
Doctoral Consortium: September 1, 2018
Ravi Shankar Prasad; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interspeech 2018: Open Doors
Date: September 3, 2018; 2 pm - 4 pm
Location: Genesys and Microsoft India Development Center
International Speech Communication Association (ISCA) - Student Advisory Committee (SAC) is back with the Open Doors event. This year we are hosted by Genesys and Microsoft India Development Center. The Open Doors event is focused to bring industrial research and academia together.
Participants will have the opportunity to visit one of the companies and engage with their speech application team. The industry professionals will demonstrate their products and related technology, followed by an open discussion, and networking opportunities. The event aims to bring students and researchers together discussing state-of-the-art technologies, potential collaboration, and even possible hiring opportunities.
ISCA-SAC will provide transportation from the conference center. Group sizes will be limited.
Berrak Sisman; Email: email@example.com
Interspeech 2018: Students meet Experts
Date: September 5, 2018; 2 pm - 4 pm
Location: Hyderabad International Convention Centre
The Student Advisory Committee of the International Speech Communication Association (ISCA-SAC) is happy to announce this year’s edition of the Students meet Experts event. After successful editions in Lyon (2013), Singapore (2014), San Francisco (2016), and Stockholm (2017), the Students meet Experts event is now coming to Interspeech 2018 in Hyderabad. We will have a panel discussion with experts from academia and industry, followed by an informal opportunity to mingle and ask more in depth questions at the SME coffee break. All students are welcome to register!
Panel of Experts
- Sharmistha Gray (Nuance Research)
- Dilek Hakkani-Tür (Google Research)
- John H. L. Hansen (The University of Texas at Dallas)
- Haizhou Li (National University of Singapore)
- Satoshi Nakamura (Nara Institute of Science and Technology)
- Shrikanth Narayanan (University of Southern California)
- Vikram Ramanarayanan (ETS Research)
- Odette Scharenborg (Delft University of Technology)
Iona Gessinger; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Travel Grants
International Speech Communication Association (ISCA) and Interspeech 2018 are jointly offering grants to students and young scientists, aged 34 and under in order to support their participation in the Interspeech 2018 Conference. For more details, visit: http://interspeech2018.org/author-travel-grants.html